On your AsusWRT router, you’ll learn how to set up the OysterVPN tunnel. This solution will come in handy if you have devices that don’t support VPNs or if you want to safeguard all of your Wi-Fi-connected devices at once. You’ll need an AsusWRT router and an active OysterVPN subscription to get started. If you don’t already have a subscription, click here to subscribe.
Find your OysterVPN service credentials
- Go to this page to get all the information you’ll need to make a manual connection.
- On the top, select the Credentials tab.
- The OysterVPN service credentials can be found there.
Choose an OysterVPN server
- On the same page where you found your credentials, click on files located right next to Credentials.
- Now choose your server from the list of OysterVNP servers.
- You’ll need an OpenVPN configuration file for the server of your choice.
- If you want to connect to Australia, click on the location and UDP to get the configuration file for Australian servers.
Set up the OpenVPN client
Before connecting to the VPN, you must first configure the OpenVPN client on your router.
- Start by logging into your Asus router’s control panel.
- You can accomplish this by typing your Default Gateway address into the URL address box of your browser. In most circumstances, it’s 192.168.1.1 by default.
- The login prompt will appear. If this is your first time configuring your router, the username and password should be admin/admin or admin without a password. You can also look for the default credentials on the back of your router.
- The VPN tab should appear in the left sidebar when you log in to the Control panel.
- In the VPN menu, select VPN Client.
- At the bottom, you should see the Add profile button; click it.
- Select the OpenVPN tab and fill up the following information: You are free to name this connection whatever you choose; Username: the credentials for the OysterVPN username service that you saved in the previous stage; Password: the password for the OysterVPN account service that you saved in the last step.
- Next, you’ll need to add the configuration file for the server you want to connect to.
- Choose a file by clicking on it.
- A window will appear, prompting you to choose the configuration file you want to use.
- After a successful connection, a blue checkmark will appear in the Connection Status column.
- Click Open after selecting the directory where you obtained the configuration files.
- After selecting the configuration file, click Upload, and if everything went well, you should receive a notification that says Complete.
- Click the OK button now.
- The option to manually import the CA file or edit the .ovpn file should be unticked.
You should now have a new connection set up. To connect your router to an OysterVPN server, click the Activate button. Please keep in mind that you can only have one VPN connection open at any given time. You need to create a new VPN profile if you want to configure another connection (you will see a button).